What Tongue Scraping Does for Dental Health
Are you experiencing dental issues like bad breath or a white tongue? Well, one way to cure these conditions is with a process called tongue scraping. Discover its many benefits and the tools you need to scrape away problems.
The Benefits of Tongue Scraping
In addition to building up on your teeth, bacteria can also collect on your tongue and lead to many dental problems. That’s why dentists advise cleaning your tongue as often as you clean your teeth. By cleaning your tongue regularly, you can:
- Eliminate white coating: A white tongue occurs when there are so many bacteria on your tongue that they create a weird white coating. Yet cleaning your tongue can wipe off the white coating and get your tongue looking rosy again.
- Get rid of bad breath: Because your tongue is so large, there’s plenty of room for debris and bacteria to collect. If these particles aren’t removed, they’ll produce a bad odor that results in very bad breath.
- Improve your dental health: By removing the bacteria on your tongue, you are reducing your risk of it spreading to your teeth and gums. This decreases the development of dental problems to result in a healthier mouth.
The Tools for Tongue Scraping
Since you know the importance of cleaning your tongue, now you need to know the best ways to do it. Tongue scraping is a very simple process that can be done with the following tools:
- Tongue Scraper: This special tool is specifically made for scraping off the built-up bacteria on your tongue. It’s easy to use and can be found in different styles in drugstores. You simply glide the tool down your tongue, from the back to the front, to wipe away any buildup. Repeat the scraping process until you’ve cleaned the entire tongue.
- Toothbrush: Your toothbrush is a handy tool for cleaning your tongue since its soft bristles allow you to scrub your tongue thoroughly, while its longer handle lets you reach farther back on your tongue. Simply brush the bristles in a back-and-forth motion over your tongue to remove any debris. Some toothbrushes feature a tongue scrubbing area on the back of the bristles specifically for this task, so dentists recommend using both the bristles and the special scrubber to thoroughly clean your tongue.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Roswell, call Dental One Associates of Roswell today at (678) 392-2209 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Roswell. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Roswell, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Roswell.