How Dental Care Experts Handle and Help Tooth Sensitivity
It’s good to be sensitive, but not when you’re talking teeth. Discover the reasons for your tooth sensitivity and how to ease the ache.
Facts About Sensitive Teeth
You know you have sensitive teeth if you feel a throbbing pain when you’re eating or drinking anything that is cold, hot, sweet, or acidic. Perhaps, just brushing your teeth or breathing cold air causes your teeth to experience that sharp pain. The problem results from your tooth enamel eroding or your gum tissue receding, which exposes the lower layer called dentin. The dentin is close to the nerves and roots of the teeth, and when it encounters extreme temperatures, they reach the nerves and produce pain.
10 Causes of Tooth Sensitivity
Many different factors can cause tooth sensitivity. But to get to the root of your pain, you’ll need to see an affordable dentist, who can spot the source of your problems. Still, dental care experts say that most cases of sensitive teeth are related to one of these reasons:
- Loss of tooth enamel from harsh brushing or the use of a hard-bristled toothbrush
- Cracked or broken teeth that have become inflamed and infected
- Tooth decay
- Plaque buildup at the roots of teeth
- Gum disease
- Age, with tooth sensitivity most prevalent between the ages of 25 and 30
- Teeth grinding and clenching, which can wear away enamel and expose the sensitive dentin of the tooth
- Abrasive toothpastes and mouth rinses
- Teeth whitening products
- Recent dental procedures, such as cleanings or restorations can cause temporary tooth sensitivity
Relieving Tooth Sensitivity
Fortunately, there are many ways to ease and eradicate your pain. An affordable dentist can offer you the most valuable and cost-effective treatments to allay your ache. After the dental examination, your dentist can offer the remedies to relieve the pain of sensitive teeth. While some advanced cases may require an in-office treatment, most people can get relief with these simple at-home steps:
- Gently brush and
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Get treatment for tooth grinding, which can wear away tooth enamel.
- Use toothpaste designed for sensitive teeth.
- Moderate your consumption of acidic foods and beverages, which can eat away at enamel.
- Get regular, professional check-ups and cleanings to prevent this pain in the future.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Roswell, call Dental One Associates of Roswell today at (678) 392-2209 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Roswell. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Georgia, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Roswell, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Roswell.